Monday, October 11, 2010

Making your Home a Haven Challenge

Last week's challenge was to light a candle and pray for peace in our home. 
I have done fairly well there. There were a few days that were crazy busy and we were in and out so that candle didn't get lit EVERY day, but most of them it did. 
And even Sis caught on to the Pray for Peace theme, although I don't believe her prayers were as serious in nature as mine.
And we had a wonderful opportunity yesterday driving home from church to talk about our Wheel of Peace. The sermon was from Matthew 5 about the salt and the light, and just how can we be Jesus to those around us. Well, that applies to our homes just as much as our community! 
Definitely an area that we - *I* - need to continue working on, but thankful for a good start! 
This week's challenge is two-fold also:  
Play soft music everyday in your home. 
Choose worship, classical or another form of peaceful music that the family enjoys.  
Focus on using peaceful words and maintaining peaceful relationships. 
Remind your family to avoid seething anger, tattling, criticism or back talk. Role model gentleness this week. 

Hmmm.... music. I can do that. We all like Country. But I also like Contemporary Christian, Classical, Eighties Rock & Nature sounds. I will work on having music playing part of the day - and some of that will be quiet and something other than Country here and there.
 
The next part of the challenge however.... OUCH! 
I'm going to copy Courtney's thoughts here - 


1. When you feel tempted to raise your voice, use a child's name in a snarl, furrow your brow into a scowl or speak rapidly in anger...purposely lower your voice to just above a whisper. Proverbs 15:1 says "A gentle answer turns away wrath but a harsh word stirs up anger." Focus on gentle words, facial expressions, and touches.
2. Purpose to not let someone else's anger make you angry. Many times as a wife and mom I find myself responding to other's emotions. Someone in the family is grumpy and two minutes later I'm grumpy too. Someone in the family is speaking harshly and two minutes later I'm speaking harshly too. Purpose to stay in control of your emotions and not let the other members of your family dictate your mood.
3. Yelling at a bud won't make it bloom. Your home will not blossom into a haven if you are not controlling your temper.
4. Continue to pray for peace in your home. Persevere in prayer for your family. James 5:16b says, "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."
Wow! This is honestly something I struggle with. 
Einstein is SO ANGRY, and SO HATEFUL, and takes it out on ALL of us that I honestly struggle in keeping happy & peaceful with him being such a BIG downer!
I would appreciate your prayers in helping me with this as I work on this challenge, as I believe it will be one!

No comments:

Post a Comment