Thursday, September 29, 2011

Peach Cobbler

We have gobs of peaches!
The softest ones I wanted to use up straight away.
So Sunday I made my first peach cobbler.
Ever.

Crust:
4 Cups flour
1/2 pound butter; chilled and cut into small pieces
1 cup shortening (chilled, although I don't know why?)
1/2 teaspoon salt
7 Tablespoons ice water (ok, I admit it - I guessed and it was tap)

To prepare the crust: Place the flour, butter, shortening and salt into a bowl. Using a pastry blender cut the butter into the flour. Add the water a bit at a time. Refrigerate an hour.
Preheat oven to 375'.
Using half the dough, press it into the bottom and sides of a 9x13 pan.

Filling:
10 cups (which was about 10 peaches) peeled, pitted and sliced peaches
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 Cup flour

Prepare the filling: Gently toss the peaches and lemon juice together in a bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss again.

Spoon filling onto bottom crust.
Taking small chinks of dough I squished them and fit them around the top of the filling, leaving spaces for steam vents.
(ok, I was supposed to roll it out on a floured board.....blah blah to much work, squish it and make a puzzle was easier! lol)
Flute the edges together if you can.

Bake for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours or until golden and bubbly.
Then we sprinkled brown sugar on the top as it cooled.

Oh this was yummy! 
Wish I would've had some vanilla ice cream. 


COUNTRY GIRL

No comments:

Post a Comment